Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Praying Mantis Kid




Had I started this blog back in August, when I rightfully should have (minus the fact that I had temporarily lost my sanity, because, well, it was August) you would have been introduced to Praying Mantis kid*.  His antics have been daily, all year, and escalating.  He is not vicious, hateful, or purposefully malicious -- he just wants to be the class comedian and get all the attention. Here's the run-down on how he got this nickname from me.

One day in the fall, he comes in after lunch -- acting his usual, goofy self.  The kids around him were a bit silly as well, but, hey, they're high schoolers and someone getting a new haircut can send them into giggles for hours. While working through our Bell Work, there was an excessive amount of shouting from the corner of the room. When I approached, I found him holding a large praying mantis-- which he had lovingly named in honor of the girl who sat in front of him. He was attempting to frighten his group members by putting it on their shoulders - clearly a good idea - as if naming it in honor of them of one of them wasn't frightening enough. Thus, I pulled an epic teacher move -- give them choices...

"Ok, you can put the praying mantis outside or I can put the praying mantis outside." - me
"Noooooooooo, I love her!" - him
"I understand, will you put her outside or should I?" - me
"Here, you can have her." - him

I'm quite certain he didn't think I would actually take the praying mantis from him. Unfortunately, being the epic multitasker that I am, I put her (?!) in my hand, promptly forgot I was holding a praying mantis, and continued my rounds of the classroom, answering questions and guiding students. One or two of them asked, "Why are you holding a praying mantis?"  At which point (realizing it was still in my hand) I came back to Praying Mantis Kid, asking if he could put her outside at this point. He decided he could. Yeah, he's 17-years-old.



{*All names have been changed on this blog, hence the misnomer of Praying Mantis Kid - clearly not his given name}

No comments:

Post a Comment